Veggie Loaded Bolognese

Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner on a Sunday has become a bit of a tradition.  There are just so many different ways to make a bolognese sauce.  This is my way of making it as I like the versatility as well as including as many veggies as I possibly can.

A double batch is always made so I can freeze half for another week.  I also make the sauce on the Saturday afternoon as the flavour is more intense the next day.  

Today is Saturday and as we had used the freezer batch it was time to make another lot.  Each time is a little different depending on the types of veggies we have handy.  A good way to use up veggies before shopping day too.

My Veggie Loaded Bolognese


Ingredients
Oil for frying
1 brown onion
2 garlic cloves
500g beef mince
500g pork mince
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons of various dried herbs - oregano, basil, thyme
Black pepper to taste
3-4 cups finely diced or processed veggies of choice
700g jar passata
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon bbq sauce
¼ cup red wine - optional

Add the onion and garlic to a food processor and process until finely chopped.  Heat a little oil in a large frying pan with high sides and then add the onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring until the onion softens and is slightly browned.

Add the beef and pork mince, bay leaves, herbs and black pepper breaking up and stirring as it browns.  I turn the heat up here to brown it well which gives it a good flavour too.  

Meanwhile add 3-4 cups of mixed veggies to the food processor.  I don't measure here as I just keep adding various veggies until I fill the container.  The more the better I think.  This time I used:  celery, carrot, cauliflower with leaves, broccoli, pumpkin and zucchini.

Packed with goodness.

Process until the veggies are thoroughly mixed and quite tiny.  I find the smaller the better as I can fit more into the sauce.



Once the meat has browned turn the heat down to medium and add the processed veggies.  Mix well and cook for approximately 10 minutes, covered.



Once the veggies have softened add the passata, tomato paste, bbq sauce and wine if using.  Mix everything well and cook for 30 minutes, covered.

Remove the lid and add a little water if needed.  I add some boiled water to the empty passata jar, give it a shake and then add.  Cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes.  As it thickens you may need to add more water as you go.

Once ready remember to remove the bay leaves.  I've forgotten a few times.

I then divide the sauce between two containers.  One will go into the freezer the next morning and the other will be eaten for dinner the next night.

All ready to go.

Serve over pasta.  When serving I usually add freshly grated cheese on top of the pasta and then the sauce over the top.  I then grate parmesan cheese for the top.

 

4 comments

  1. Wow you include a lot of veggies, Kylie. What a good idea! I must remember that next time I make that dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny things is that the kids hardly notice. They're always surprised when they see how many veggies I put in.

      Delete
  2. Kylie, I made this last week, with slight variations. I used ground turkey and didn't have BBQ sauce . It was so good. I even added spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only added the BBQ sauce a few weeks ago to see how it went and they all commented about how extra yum it was. I said that must be the sauce so I've added it ever since.
      Ground turkey would be lovely. I like to mix different types of meat too.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top