Sprouted Barley

Last week I started the process of sprouting barley for our chickens and have been learning so much along the way.  I knew that soaking and sprouting was healthy and reactivates however really wanted to know more.  This little batch of barley grains has taken me that one step further.

There is so much more for me to know and learn however I think I have the basics.  Here is my little summary.

Seeds and grains are dormant until we provide them with the right environment to live. 

The first stage of sprouting requires us to soak the seeds overnight.  As soon as we do this we are activating them and they begin they're new life and produce beneficial enzymes which we all need.  Not only that they will also be a lot easier to digest.

Now our grains need water and air to start sprouting.  We need to give them a good hard rinse twice a day.  By having the tap running quite hard it flushes away the impurities and also moves the grains about.  Once they've had a good rinse they need to be drained.  Whilst draining I toss them around in the colander.  I flip them up similar to tossing a pizza dough I guess.  Not that I have attempted that one.  

Day 2.


We need to do this twice a day ensuring they are wet however not sitting in a pool of water.  By sitting in the colander they get air circulation which is vital.  Water and oxygen are required for growth.

It's in between these rinses that our sprouts grow.  You can practically watch them change right in front of your eyes.  It is quite amazing and gives you a good feeling knowing you are providing the right conditions for them to do their thing.

Day 4.

I gave our chickens their first lot of sprouted barley on day four.  Such a great feeling seeing them peck away knowing so much more about the benefits.  I scattered some on the ground and left some in the container to see which way they prefer.  Both it seems.

Eat up girls.


You know what's next I'm sure.  My husband and kids are going to be eating a lot of sprouts.  Every salad I make in the warmer months will have sprouted seeds and grains.  Sprouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner perhaps?  Mmmmm maybe not however they will be used a whole lot more than what they are now.

I've been soaking and drying nuts for years now and had an understanding as to why however have gone that little bit further.  Only this morning I ate a bowl of Buckwheat Porridge in which the grains had been soaking overnight.  So, so good for you.

I really find this all very interesting and I think it's important to know as well.

Now back to the chickens.  The next stage of this fun little adventure is to grow fodder.  I have already soaked  the next lot of barley which is now going through the rinse and drain process.  Once complete I'll share my fodder journey.   


I used two cups of barley this time.  These have been soaked and are now draining.

Once they've sprouted I'll scatter them onto trays so they can grow.  I have some trays ready which just need some drainage holes.  Looking forward to that part so much just so I can use the drill.  Oh the little things that get me excited.






10 comments

  1. I will have to give that a try, Kylie. We have heaps of barley here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear you will have a way to use the barley and will reap the benefits.

      Delete
  2. I sprout mung beans and use in salads. Sometimes I cook it in coconut milk, or just cook in water in pressure cooker. Haven't tried sprouting any other grains though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mung beans pop up a lot when I search the internet. I'll certainly be giving them a try. So much variety for us which is great as I'm sure they each have different nutritional benefits.

      Delete
  3. My mind immediately goes to my mother's beef barley soup. Always perfect on a cold fall or winter's evening. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful memory Andrea. Mum sent us home with her homemade soup on the weekend. They know how to make a good homemade soup to make you feel good.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy sprouts in salads. I will have to sprout my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to compare but I'm sure it's cheaper if we do it ourselves too.

      Delete
  5. Your chickens look so beautiful and healthy. I used to know a man who sprouted mung beans. He used them in salads, too. I love sprouted sunflower seeds. I used to buy them. It would be nice to sprout them at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter puts sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in her muesli every day so we will sprout them now for that boost of healthy goodness.
      It's funny because I'm seeing mung beans everywhere I go now.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I really enjoy hearing from my readers and sharing ideas. Have a lovely day.

Back to Top